Tuesday, May 25, 2010

World Cup III (Post IV)

Hello All,
I am currently watching the USA vs. Czech Republic game and am pretty satisfied so far. Considering Howard is not in goal for the U.S., I feel somewhat better about the game. Onyewu is in the game tonight because he hasn't played since late 2009 and needs to get into his groove for the upcoming World Cup. Just gotta remember that a majority of the U.S.'s dominant players are not dressed for this game. I like to be impressed by out more secondary team, that way I get optimistic for our better players.

Anyway, I am back, after a few days off, to move into my quarterfinals predictions for the World Cup which is only 15 short days away. We left my predictions in a pretty intense atmosphere as we move into the quarterfinals and I would just be ecstatic if everything actually panned out the way I think it will (with the exception of the US, of course, who would make me much happier if they got further in the tourney). Ok, so were off again:

France (1A) vs. England (1C)
Putting aside the existing rivalry of this game, I think that it will be a lot more lopsided than many people will give it credit for. France just squeaked into the Cup, will play well in the group stages, probably get lucky in the Round of 16, but won't have what it takes against a team like England. This game will probably be dominated by England.
Winner: England

South Africa (2A) vs. Germany (1D)
The clear favorite for this game will most definitely be Germany. However, I plead with everyone to seriously watch out for South Africa. I am counting on them to play really well this year, and if they don't, then I will apologize. However, I will call the upset (if it gets to this point) and say that it will be hard enough for Germany without Ballack up to this point, but that they won't be able to stop the momentum of the home field team of South Africa.
Winner: South Africa

The Netherlands (1E) vs. Brazil (1G)
The Netherlands have been a good team in the recent past. And who knows, they may even give Brazil a test. However, Brazil is too strong this year, favored to win it, and won't have any problem getting past the Netherlands at this point. I always root for the underdog, however ;)
Winner: Brazil

Italy (1F) vs. Spain (1H)
This will be the biggest game to date in the 2010 World Cup (if it happens) and I will be watching every second of this game if it came to it. Two powerhouse teams running full speed will make for a proverbial "slobberknocker." The reigning European Champs and reigning World Cup champs (both with almost the same teams) will make for a match that may go nil-nil through 90-minutes. Bring out the penalty kicks. Bring out Spain's amazing scorers vs. one of the best goaltenders in the world today in Buffon. It almost hurts me to make this decision. However, Spain is just too good right now. But, look for me to possibly be wrong haha.
Winner: Spain

Alright, we move to the Semi-finals, with four teams left: England, Brazil, South Africa, Spain. Should be intense. I really hope this all happens like this because I want my soccer IQ to jump some ego points, haha.

Thanks for readin...

-Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment