Wednesday, May 19, 2010

World Cup I (Post II)

Hello All,
So we are only a couple of weeks away from the start of the FIFA World Cup 2010 and I couldn't be more pumped. It is going to be an amazing month with some great soccer being played. I enjoy MLS soccer, but not nearly as much as international play. The stakes are always higher, everyone plays to their full extent, and it just means SO much more when a whole nation can get involved over a game. Anyway, I wanted to drop in and speak about the World Cup this year, along with my predictions and analysis.

I suppose I will start with a realistic prediction, and a humble one as well, on my part: The U.S. will not win the Cup. I will pray everyday to be proven wrong and would love nothing more than that to happen, but like I said, I have to be realistic. Unrealistic sports fans who think their teams are the be all and end all, no matter how well they may play, are just setting themselves up for disappointment. I've learned the hard way, so I have to be realistic. I am not saying the U.S. won't do well, but I do not see them winning it all.

So we know that there are a lot of great and talented teams playing for the Cup, but obviously, we can only see one winner. At this point, I will predict my winners for each group:

Group A: France, South Africa
This group is probably the most intense group of the cup this year. France, South Africa, Uruguay, and Mexico are all VERY strong teams and any one of them has the ability to get out of group play. France qualified for the cup under a veil of controversy, but has the momentum and has been known for pulling some upsets. South Africa simply has the home field advantage. Many of the nations that have hosted the World Cup have come out of group play and I think South Africa will repeat this trend. I watched them play VERY well during the Confederation Cup last summer and see them getting out of group play, no problem. That, and I like their huge defense-man, Matthew Booth.

Group B: Argentina, Nigeria
Another good group with Argentina, Nigeria, South Korea, and Greece. However, South Korea and Greece are just not strong enough to compete. Greece could be a contender, and have something to prove after that dismal performance in the 2008 EURO Cup. However, Nigeria is a strong African team who will prove that they are ready to play.

Group C: England, United States
Here is a very interesting group. It would seem that the heavy favorites would be England and the U.S., however I am afraid that many will underestimate Algeria and Slovenia. While it is true that Algeria hasn't qualified for a cup since 1986 and Slovenia hasn't competed for the Cup since '02, they could still come out very strong against the two favorites. Algeria is a skilled, tactical team and everyone must remember that the U.S. lost their fastest and good striker Davies. It will be some good matches but I still see England and the U.S. getting out of group play.

Group D: Germany, Australia
Yea, yea, I know, Ballack is hurt. But it doesn't matter. Germany will still dominate the group and have no problem getting to the next stage. They still have good strikers and can score goals. Australia had a great run in 2006, ALMOST beating Italy (who would go on to win the Cup) and I believe, with the same squad, have a chance to get far again. The only other team that could possibly do something in this group is Ghana, who is a talented team as well. Serbia won't have a chance against those three strong teams.

Group E: The Netherlands, Denmark
This is probably one of the toughest groups to predict and its not because they have a dominating group. The Netherlands are the best team in this group and will go far. The other three, Denmark, Japan, and Cameroon, are all mediocre teams. It will be a tough battle and any one of them could get out of group play. I think it will come down to Cameroon and Denmark, with Denmark barely squeaking it out.

Group F: Italy, Slovakia
I have to go with a little upset here. Italy is probably the clear favorite to win the group and are expecting to put up a giant Cup run, as they are the defending champs. However, Slovakia is in its FIRST World Cup, as well as their first real international competition. I see this as something that could pull the squad together and do greatness. The other two teams in the group Paraguay and New Zealand will be tough competitors, but I see Slovakia pulling out their hearts to get past the group stage. I honestly can say: Go Slovakia! I want them to do well.

Group G: Brazil, Portugal
Brazil and Portugal are, of course, the huge favorites and have the biggest names on their teams. The Ivory Coast and Korea probably won't put up to much of a fight. This is probably the more simplest group to predict, but if anyone was willing to make an upset, it would be the Ivory Coast. Sometimes Portugal chokes (cough, 2008 EURO Cup cough), but they won't do it here...well, at least in group play. Oh and don't forget that Brazil is favorites to win the cup.

Group H: Spain, Switzerland
Another upset here, at least in my mind. Spain is another top contender for the Cup and Defending Euro Champs, so that is not a surprise. That team is stacked with Villa, Xavi, Torres (who should be back from injury), and of course their captain goaltender Casillas. So again, no surprise. However, Switzerland is going to need to beat out a good Honduras team (who caused problems for the US during the qualifying matches) and Chile, who could also prove to be quite stubborn on the field. I will be rooting for Switzerland, who has never been seen as a huge threat, but maybe they will break out in 2010.

Alright, well were going to leave it at that for now. The next post will outline the next stage and my predictions for who is going to win the Cup. I will leave you with my top three teams I see coming into South Africa:

1-Spain
2-Brazil
3-Italy

Alright, thanks for reading...

-Adam

No comments:

Post a Comment